Monday, May 3, 2010

Celebrating Roy DeCarava

Roy DeCarava died last fall. I never met DeCarava, but I admire his work and, given what I knew of him, admire him as a man [1] [2]. This invitation recently appeared in my In Box accompanied by this message:
"Dear Friend, We hope you will join us for the public memorial celebration in honor of Roy DeCarava on Monday, May 10, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. at The Cooper Union Great Hall. Please see the attached invitation below for details, and feel free to forward to colleagues and friends. We look forward to seeing you. RSVP to decarava@gmail.com ~ The DeCarava Archive."
Unfortunately, I cannot make it down to NYC; so I am passing along the invitation to you in hopes that perhaps you might be able to attend. As a photographer, a teacher, a decent human being, Roy DeCarava gave much worth celebrating.