Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Oh, the Outrage at BP!

I found this entry at Huff Post pretty unenlightening. Why should we be surprised that the Oil Companies put out virtually identical and consistently banal PR about their readiness for this or that emergency? After all, politicians put out virtually identical and consistently banal PR about their various plans and promises. I did find the visuals interesting - oil rigs taking the place of official government buildings (like, say, the U.S. Capitol or the White House or 10 Downing Street or Buckingham Palace or whatever). I also found it a stitch that all the petro companies apparently gave the phone number of a dead man - the same dead man! - as a contact on matters of emergency preparedness. I suppose that gives new meaning to the notion of keeping cool under pressure. Then again, I spent many years in Chicago where, notoriously, the dead have been known to vote.