Sunday, May 29, 2011

Re-photographing Lisbeth

Over the holidays I filled some of the time I might otherwise have spent with my son August (his Mom was busy performing her Grinch impersonation) plowing through Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy. The books are a real kick and I don't think one should take them too seriously. Nevertheless, this week the NYRB published this interesting review of the trilogy. I have not seen the Swedish film version, but now we have the first glimpses of the upcoming U.S. film re-version [1] [2]. I'll be able to see the film next Christmas. (The image I've lifted here is Rooney Mara who plays Lisbeth Salander in the first installment. Photograph by Jean-Baptiste Mondino.) While I don't want to be a purist, the initial reports on the American re-make claim that "the ending has been completely altered." How can that be good? We'll see.